The best ‘bang for buck’ watch out there?
Well, there’s plenty of good value for money watches out there, Vostok Scuba Dude, Seiko 5’s etc, but I reckon this humble little Casio must surely be the best value for money watch you can buy. At the time of writing this watch can be picked up for £14.99! That’s really not a lot of money for what you get. What does fifteen quid buy you these days anyway? I recently paid more than that for 2 drinks at a hotel bar and all I had to show for that was an outrageous hangover the next day (obviously more than 2 drinks were consumed that night)! At least with the Casio I should get 10 years service before the battery even needs changing!
The watch has gained a bit of a cult status amongst WIS types, check out Instagram for example and you’ll see plenty of hash tags such as #worldtimewednesday, #casioroyale (affectionately coined due to similarities to the Seiko G757-5020 that Roger Moore wore as James Bond in Octopussy, there’s no tracking device in the Casio though)! #casioworldtime and casioworldtimer. And its easy to see why the watch has such a big following, obviously the fact that it’s so cheap is a factor, but this watch simply oozes retro coolness. The layout of the face is just superb. The time and all of the functions sit in a funky shape at the bottom of the case, above that theres the world map, and just to left of that is the super cool subdial that’s also telling you the time with digital hands. All of this sits in a square case which just adds to the retroness of the watch.
So what does it actually do?
Well, quite a lot actually, another reason the watch is so popular amongst watch lovers everywhere, check out the features:
- Display Illumination: LED backlight for the digital display (Full auto LED light, selectable illumination duration, afterglow)
- Alarm Function: Daily Alarm: sounds each day at the time you set (you can set 5 alarms)
- Countdown Timer: A stopwatch that counts backwards: When 0 minutes, 0 seconds is reached, the timer emits a 10-second signal tone.
- World Time: Displays the current time in major cities and specific areas around the world.
- Time Zone: 4 time zones display- Local times can be called up quickly and easily for four different time zones.
- Stopwatch: 1/100th Sec Stopwatch
- Stainless steel bracelet (for this sort of money you can’t expect solid end links etc but its a perfectly bracelet and actually very comfortable, check out Instagram using the hash tags above and you’ll find people have put this watch on all kinds of different straps and they all look good)
- Water Resistant: 100 Metre/10 Bar
That’s an impressive list of features for any watch, let alone one in this price bracket.
To sum up
Not much more to say about this watch other than for what is probably a couple of weeks worth of kids pocket-money, if you haven’t already got one, then you need to get one. I can guarantee you wont be disappointed and it will put a smile on your face every time you look at it.
Please click here to join our small but growing group of watch enthusiasts over on Facebook.